Shortly into back-to-school season, I removed the insole of one particular teacher’s shoes to reveal a bevy of thumb tacks! Unbeknownst to her, it seems she was the subject of some classroom pranksters. This “joke” could have become decidedly not funny very quickly had the tacks remained undiscovered.
The holidays are such a wonderful time full of tradition. Last season, a patient visited me shortly after the family’s annual Christmas tree cutting adventure. Just as he finished telling me that his work boots are the most comfortable boots he has ever owned, I reached in and pulled out a branch with an entire clump of pine needles that would rival any of Charlie Brown’s Christmas trees. Needless to say we went on to further sensation testing.
A patient returned last winter from some fun in the sun with what I thought was a sliver embedded in his sole, perhaps picked up on a long walk on the beach. On closer examination of his deck shoes, I realized that I was right about the sliver but wrong about its origin. It was from an umbrella – a cocktail umbrella to be precise. Perhaps the next time the customs agent asks you to remove your footwear on return from your favorite all-inclusive winter destination you may also want to use this opportunity to check the insides of your shoes for unwanted stowaways!
Attention pet owners… knick, knack, paddy whack give a dog a bone? This four legged member of the family used its owner’s shoe as a cozy hiding spot for a favourite bone. Unfortunately for the pet owner who was unaware of what was hiding in his Hush Puppies, the shards of fragmented bone had caused a severe infection by the time I discovered them.
My last recollection is one that was quite remarkable and humorous to everyone involved… initially. This particular patient could not understand why on earth he could still start his car (push button ignition) when his keys had been missing for days, even leaving him to wonder perhaps about artificial intelligence or some sort of electromagnetic disturbance. He had even involved his mechanic who was also very puzzled. It was only when his wife noticed the bleeding in his socks that she checked his shoes and the mystery was solved. There they were – his full set of keys pushed into the end of his shoe. The patient was completely unaware, felt nothing, not even the bottle opener also attached to his key collection. The sad ending to this story is that complications developed and progressed to the point that his great toe required amputation.
For more information on your good foot health, you can always visit the Kawartha Total Foot Care Centre web site.